What is Python and what are its Features?
Python is a high-level, object-oriented programming language. It is quite appealing for Rapid Application Development because of its high-level data structures, dynamic binding and dynamic typing. It can also be used as a scripting language for connecting the existing elements. The program has a simple syntax which promotes readability and thus minimizes maintenance costs. It supports packages and modules, and promotes code reusability and program modularity. The language’s interpreter and its extensive library are available for free use and distribution.
Why Programmers Like Python
The enhanced productivity provided by Python is one of the main reasons why so many programmers prefer it. The Edit, Test and Debug steps are faster because of the absence of “compilation.” It is also easy to debug programs written in Python because a bug will not result in segmentation fault. When the error is discovered, it will raise an exception. A stack trace is printed when the exception is not caught.
The programming language has a source legal debugger that can help with the following tasks:
- Inspect local/global variables
- Evaluate arbitrary expressions
- Line-based stepping through the code
- Set breakpoints
An even faster way to debug is to write print statements into the source.
Benefits and Features of Python
Some of the main features and benefits of Python are as following:
- Easy to Learn – It is quite easy to learn Python because its code has lots of resemblance to the pseudo code. It is possible to get faster results without the need to waste time on complicated coding. You can start coding shortly after starting to learn the language. As already mentioned, this is one of the main reasons why so many programmers use Python. It gives a huge boost to your productivity by making everything simple and fast. It is also possible to develop a high-level OO programming code. This feature is of great use for smaller tasks.
- Object-oriented – Compared to other so called objected oriented programming languages, Python is entirely object oriented. Most other scripting languages have some add-on object-orientation support. In other terms, they are not fully object oriented. OO-programming is both simple and beneficial.
- Readability – Python has a clear and readable syntax, which helps make it highly readable. The code is to understand for both the beginners and experienced coders. When compared to other programming languages, Python has lesser number of dialects.
- Support is Readily Available – Python has a vast and active community that provides quality support anytime. The code is available for free access, which enables millions of programmers from across the world to be always working to find and fix bugs by creating patches. There is always someone who is developing new enhancements and sending for approval.
- Faster Coding – Python provides faster feedback in a number of ways. As a programmer, you can skip many tasks which are usually involved in other programming languages. This helps reduce the overall cost of maintenance. The language also enables faster adaptation of the code. This is the reason why it is also called a ready-to-run programming language by many developers. It requires a simple code for execution. It makes it easy to test and work around with your code in different ways. The language provides a bottom-up style of development so that you can build your programs by testing and importing essential functions within the interpreter before writing the top-level code. Most programmers don’t know that the interpreter can be easily extended. You can even embed a C code as a compiled extension module.
- Reusable – Python encourages careful implementation of modules and packages, thus promoting reusability. The Standard Python Library is one of the best examples of its reusability feature. The library is an important part of the programming language’s distribution. It is possible to share the function between various programs by breaking them down into multiple modules and by reusing the modules in other programs.
- Portable – Python is highly portable. It can run on different platforms and has almost similar UI. The programming language has been written in ANSI C, which means its design isn’t based on any specific OS. You can write a program on Linux system, run it on MAC and upload it on Windows without any compatibility issues.
Python was designed to be an easily readable language. It was meant to have uncluttered layout. It is easy to note that the language uses English keywords in places where other programming languages use punctuation. Besides, it has lesser number of special cases and syntax exceptions compared to Pascal or C. it follows an approach of making the commonly required behavior as default and then changing it in special cases similar to “joyful frameworks.” This approach makes it easy to carry out the common tasks, thus further making this language easier to use.